At this year’s GEN (Global Editors Network) summit, Google News Initiative shared their notes regarding data journalism resources, particularly for investigative research and verification by online forensics. Here are some excerpts and we get a copy from Google News Lab, which you may find the complete notes attached at the end.
- Google Public Data Explorer provides public data and forecasts from a range of international organizations and academic institutions. Visualized data are ready to interpret.
- Google Trends compares search terms in a country and timeframe of your choice.
- Google Reverse Image Search & tineye.com & RevEye Reverse Image Search– verify the source or authenticity of images.
- Storyful Multisearch – search via multiple social media platform at once.
- Picodash – search for relevant hashtags on Instagram.
- Who.Is – find out who owns a website.
- YouTube Data Viewer – extract YouTube video metadata.
- Frame by Frame – examine a video frame by frame.
- GeoSearchTool – search tagged video content by location and timeframe.
- WayBack – website screenshots archive.
- SunCal.net – verify sunlights in images and videos.
Find more on data journalism training and multimedia toolsets below:
Posted by: Roy Tang