The sharing Pili Hu gave about the experience, observations and thoughts taken away from the trip to Global Investigative Journalism Conference 2017. Slides are followed. Keep reading for an outline of topics discussed in this talk.
Topics discussed in this talk:
- Technology in IJ: examples of drone, satellite, spreadsheet, sensor, …
- The mainstream is to find lead/ make hypothesis/ develop story using journalistic methods and verify/ support the points by technology methods.
- Many technology innovations for journalism ends in a solution that looks for problem.
- Addressing journalism problems usually do not require fancy technology (or the fancy part of).
- The relationship between DJ and IJ (Read more)
- IJ, at the core, is the purpose.
- DJ is the methodology.
- The identity of “Data Journalism” — of data, for data, by data?
- The two legs of data mining: pattern for scientists and anomaly journalists
- Attitude towards methodology
Pili’s talk is one part of the multi-speaker lightning talk series held in HKU on Dec 17, 2017. Other speakers materials are not shared here due to copyright issues.
Pili Hu sharing the application of drone in war investigation
The sharing venue: Eliot Hall @ HKU
Vikie Liang quote OCCRP: # of developers in our organisation are almost same as # of editors
Posted by: Pili Hu